Monday, November 17, 2008

Blog Assignment 9

So, I'm going to try writing my blog in Zoho, as I've discovered in reading the welcome page that I should be able to post directly to my blog from here.  Here's some good things I've discovered about Zoho Writer thus far:

  1. I can easily create numbered lists, just like in Office, WordPerfect or Pages! smile (and they have cool emoticons!)
  2. I could sign in using my Google account.  No new password for me!
  3. The standard word processing functions are easily accessable.  I'm not forced to search through lots of menus to find what I want to do.  Although, having said that, the "create new document" button is something that took me a minute to find.
  4. Zoho seems to do everything Word will do; italics, bold, underline,change font colour, etc.  The only thing I'm having problems with is that the keyboard shortcuts are windows based, and I work on a Mac at home, so I'm having to stop and think for those.  If I were at work, with the PC keyboard, there would be no problem.
  5. I love the history function, that takes you back to a previously saved version of your document.
  6. I think it's great that you're able to save these documents in multiple formats, including PDF.
Would this be of interest to our organization.  Good question.  We've all got Word on our computers, and all the public PCs have it as well.  This type of program could eliminate the need for floppy or USB drives to carry unfinished documents around.  Definitely an interesting idea, but I've got an attachment to my harddrive and portable storage, which for some reason, I still trust more than online storage.  Maybe I'll use this when I have to write the next article for the Weekender.  Then I can work on it at the branch when I have a free moment, as well as at home.  Well, I guess that is if my work computer is connected to the net by that point! wink

2 comments:

Stacey said...

hmmmm... not too thrilled with how that posted. the emoticons have disappeared, and my font colour is a bit wonky.

Anonymous said...

Other people have mentioned that their emoticons have not come up. It worked on mine so I'm not too sure what the problem is...if I get it figured out I'll let you know.

I think it could be a transfer problem b/w macs and pc...did you type your assignment on one and then view it in the other?
hmmmmmmm???

Jenny.